At Excalibur Primary School, we pride ourselves on how our children learn maths. From Reception to Year 6, we prepare our children to be resourceful, resilient and independent learners.
We have developed a bespoke maths curriculum that teaches the children to be:
Fluent with maths through-
- Varied and frequent practice of maths fundamentals- mental maths, written calculations
- Increasingly complex problems
- Rapid and accurate recall of mathematical knowledge.
Reason mathematically through-
- Following a line of enquiry
- Developing arguments through mathematical discussion.
- Justify and prove using mathematical language
Solve problems through -
- Applying maths skills to problems with increasing sophistication
- Breaking down problems into a series of smaller steps
- Persevering to seek solutions.
As well as learning in maths lessons, the children are taught to apply their maths through other areas of the curriculum such as: science, DT, computing, history and geography.
We have also been supported with our understanding of real life maths and applying our skills by inviting guests into school.
Please take some time to look through our calculation pathway and familiarise yourself with the progression of calculation in our school.