Year 2 2022 - 2023
Welcome to Year 2
Our topic work this term based around ‘The Moon Landings’. We will investigate how we can be sure that man has been on the moon, why astronauts risked their lives to do so and how they got there and back safely. There are strong cross-curricular links with art, DT, computing, science and English that will also be explored.
The teaching of reading will be continued through both Read, Write Inc and Accelerated Reader. Children will be issued with Read Write Inc or Accelerated Reader levelled books to bring home and read with you. RWI books will be linked to the books they have been reading in their daily sessions and will be changed each Monday. Please ensure that RWI Reading books are returned to school each Monday, as they are purchased in sets of six and a missing book means that a whole set is withdrawn from use.
We always use a quality text to inspire some great writing. This term's texts will include Man on the Moon - a day in the life of Bob, Beegu and The Smeds and the Smoos. As always the children are encouraged to bring in any of their own books that link with our topic.
In addition to this, Reading for Pleasure books from the library will be changed on Mondays. All children are encouraged to change their books. Sometimes, children have a particular favourite which they may want to choose again. These books are designed to be read by you, with your child joining in when able to. This allows children to share the reading process with you and to develop a love of reading with less pressure on them.
We shall continue to take home the Reading Rocks bags. The children have really enjoyed these and have also given me lots of ideas for topics to be covered in the future.
Miss Morrey will continue introducing new spelling patterns on a Monday and spelling lists will be sent home each week for the children to practise at home. Please remember, as with all homework, ‘little and often’ has the biggest impact, especially on retention of spellings.
In mental maths we will be covering the following throughout the year:
- Count in 2s, 3s and 5s from 0 forwards and backwards
- Count in 10s from any given number forwards and backwards e.g. 43,53,63 etc.
- 2x, 5x and 10x table plus related division facts
- Know number facts within 20 e.g. 15+3=18
- Addition and subtraction facts within 100
- Know number bonds to 20 and use related facts up to 100 e.g. If 8+2=10 then 80+20=100.
- Know addition doubles for all numbers to at least 10, e.g. 8+8 = 16.
Miss Forrester (Maths lead at Excalibur) has added some useful home learning booklets which can be downloaded to use as extra home learning activities. These can be found on the website under…
Curriculum > Maths > Maths Workbooks for parents > Year 2 Workbooks
There are also lots of activities on ICT games.com and Topmarks - see links below.
Science: In science this term our topics will be:
- Identify and compare the suitability of a variety of everyday materials
- Find out how the shapes of solid objects made from some materials can be changed by squashing, bending, twisting and stretching.
Click on the image below
Living Things and their Habitats
- Explore and compare the differences between things that are living, dead, and things that have never been alive
- Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited
- Describe how different habitats provide for the basic needs of different kinds of animals and plants, and how they depend on each other
- Identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats
- Describe how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals
Click on the image below
A few reminders
Staff in Year 2:
Mrs Griffin - Class teacher (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Miss Morrey – Class Teacher (Monday)
Mrs Woodcock - Teaching assistant
Miss Such – Support Assistant
Our regular PE days for this term will be Tuesday and Friday. Pupils are asked to bring their PE kit on a Monday and will be taken home on a Friday. Please make sure that your child wears the correct Excalibur PE kit. A list of the full PE kit is on our website.
Pupils can bring their tracksuit bottoms for PE if it becomes too cold.
I would be grateful if you could make sure that long hair is tied back and that earrings are removed or covered with micro-pore or similar on PE days.
Any earrings will need to be removed for a PE lesson.
Start and Finish Times
The school gates will be opened at 8:50 to all children. Registration closes at 9:00 am. The school day will end at 3:20 pm.
Please send your child in with a healthy snack for their midmorning break. Fruit snack is available at afternoon break.
It is important for children to drink water throughout the day. Therefore, children may bring in bottles of water each day so long as the bottle has a secure lid. It is also really helpful if every bottle is clearly labelled. Please can you remind your child to take their bottle home every night for washing and refilling.
Every Monday, your child will be set the following tasks:
- Maths activities – based on the previous week’s objectives
- Spellings - Either a spelling rule or words from the statutory Y1/2 spelling list that is taught that week. These will be tested on a Monday.
Home School Planners
Reading records planners should be in school every day and children. Children are encouraged to read at least 5 times a week. This can be a variety of texts, reading to a younger sibling, reading magazines, recipes and instructions.
If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact through our contact email address (email@example.com) or you could leave a message on seesaw.
We look forward to a fabulous year working with you and your child.
Thank you for your continued support.
Files to Download
Year 2: Latest Letters items
There are no Latest Letters items to display
Year 2: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 2: Class Work items
There are no Class Work items to display
Year 2: Events items
Y4 Standon Bowers, by Miss Ridler
Y2 Delamere Activity Centre, by Miss Ridler