Year 4 2022 - 2023
Reading Survey Summer 1
Pupil Voice Safeguarding Survey Link - November 2022 - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BZ6LFSH
This term, our topic is:
Victorians and Settlements
Click on the picture to find some Victorian and settlement games!
The first half term will focus on Victorians:
- What were the main changed that took place during the Victorian times?
- Children working in Victorian factories: Was it as bad as they tell us?
- Why did so many families move from the countryside to the towns during this time?
- Victorian railways: Winners and losers
- Going to school in Victorian times using photographs
- The Victorian Era: Dark Age or Golden Age?
The second half term will focus on settlements:
- What is a settlement?
- How is land used in my local area?
- Can I explain the location of features in my local area?
- How has my local area changed over time?
- How is land used in New Delhi?
- How does land use in New Delhi compare to my local area?
In year 4, it is really important that you know, and practise, your times tables up to 12x12. Times tables are important to help you with lots of other aspects of maths - practising for 5 minutes a day can work wonders!
We will be taking part in the Multiplication Check at the end of the school year.
Below are some fantastic links for you to practise your times tables, number bonds and other maths skills:
Why not try learning the times table raps?
In science this term we will be looking at sound and electricity.
The first half term will focus on sound:
- How sound sources vibrate to make sounds
- Vibrations change when the loudnes of a sound changes
- How sound travels to reach our ears
- The pitch of a sound
- Patterns between the pitch of a sound and the features of the object that makes the sound
- How sound travels through a string telephone
- Create a musical instrument that can play high, low, loud and quiet sounds
The second half term will focus on electricity:
Define what an electrical apploance is and state wether is it battery or mains powered
- Identify circuit componenents
- Build series circuits and identify wether they are complete or incomplete
- Explain what electical conductors and insulators are
- Create some different switches and explain how they effect a circuit
Reminders and Information
Staff in Year 4:
Miss Hilditch - Class teacher (Monday am, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Madame Leydon – French teacher (Monday pm)
Mrs Donkin– Music teacher (Monday pm)
Mrs Bundy - Teaching assistant
Our regular PE days for this term will be Tuesday and Thursday. Pupils are asked to bring their PE kit on a Monday and will be taken home on a Friday. Please make sure that your child wears the correct Excalibur PE kit. A list of the full PE kit is on our website.
Pupils can bring their tracksuit bottoms for PE if it becomes too cold.
I would be grateful if you could make sure that long hair is tied back and that earrings are removed or covered with micro-pore or similar on PE days.
Any earrings will need to be removed for a PE lesson.
Start and Finish Times
The school gates will be opened at 8:50am to all children. The school day will end at 3:20 pm.
Due to considerations regarding the transfer of monies, there will be no snacks for sale at break times. Therefore, could you please send your child in with a healthy snack for their midmorning break.
It is important for children to drink water throughout the day. Therefore, children may bring in bottles of water each day so long as the bottle has a secure lid. It is also really helpful if every bottle is clearly labelled. Please can you remind your child to take their bottle home every night for washing and refilling.
Every week, your child will be set the following tasks:
- Guided Reading - Questions set from a short text every Friday.
- Spellings - Either a spelling rule or words from the statutory Y3/4 spelling list. Given on half termly basis, tested on a Tuesday.
If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact through our contact email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or you could leave a message on seesaw.
I look forward to a fabulous year working with you and your child.
Thank you for your continued support.
Files to Download
Year 4: Latest Letters items
There are no Latest Letters items to display
Year 4: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4: Class Work items
There are no Class Work items to display
Year 4: Events items
Y4 Trip - Blists Hill, by Miss Ridler