Year 4 2022 - 2023
Pupil Voice Safeguarding Survey Link - November 2022 - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BZ6LFSH
This term, our topic is:
Volcanoes and Vikings
Click on the picture to find some Volcano and Viking games!
The first half term will focus on volcanoes:
- Name and describe the layers of the earth
- Explain how and where mountains are formed
- Explain why volcanoes happen and why they occur
- Recognise the negative and positive effects of living near a volcano
- Explain what earthquakes are and where they occur
- Observe the location of rocks around school
The first half term will focus on Vikings:
- What image do we have of the Vikings?
- Reasons for Vikings' bad reputation
- The Anglo-Saxons struggle against the Vikings
- How the recent excavations changed our view of the Vikings
- What we can learn about Viking settlements
- Raiders or settlers: how should we remember the Vikings?
In year 4, it is really important that you know, and practise, your times tables up to 12x12. Times tables are important to help you with lots of other aspects of maths - practising for 5 minutes a day can work wonders!
We will be taking part in the Multiplication Check at the end of the school year.
Below are some fantastic links for you to practise your times tables, number bonds and other maths skills:
In science this term we will be looking at animals including humans and states of matter.
The first half term will focus on animals including humans:
- Discuss how to keep our teeth healthy
- Identify and examine different types of teeth
- Identify parts of the digestive system and their functions
- Construct food chains for different habitats
The second half term will focus on states of matter:
Sort and describe materials
- Investigate gases, liquids and solids and explain their properties
- Investigate materials as they change state
- Find out how water evaporates
- Identify and describe the different stages of the water cycle.
Reminders and Information
Staff in Year 4:
Miss Hilditch - Class teacher (Monday am, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Madame Leydon – French teacher (Monday pm)
Mrs Donkin– Music teacher (Monday pm)
Mrs Bundy - Teaching assistant
Our regular PE days for this term will be Tuesday and Thursday. Pupils are asked to bring their PE kit on a Monday and will be taken home on a Friday. Please make sure that your child wears the correct Excalibur PE kit. A list of the full PE kit is on our website.
Pupils can bring their tracksuit bottoms for PE if it becomes too cold.
I would be grateful if you could make sure that long hair is tied back and that earrings are removed or covered with micro-pore or similar on PE days.
Any earrings will need to be removed for a PE lesson.
Start and Finish Times
The school gates will be opened at 8:50am to all children. The school day will end at 3:20 pm.
Due to considerations regarding the transfer of monies, there will be no snacks for sale at break times. Therefore, could you please send your child in with a healthy snack for their midmorning break.
It is important for children to drink water throughout the day. Therefore, children may bring in bottles of water each day so long as the bottle has a secure lid. It is also really helpful if every bottle is clearly labelled. Please can you remind your child to take their bottle home every night for washing and refilling.
Every week, your child will be set the following tasks:
- Guided Reading - Questions set from a short text every Friday.
- Spellings - Either a spelling rule or words from the statutory Y3/4 spelling list. Given on half termly basis, tested on a Tuesday.
If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact through our contact email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or you could leave a message on seesaw.
I look forward to a fabulous year working with you and your child.
Thank you for your continued support.
Files to Download
Year 4: Latest Letters items
There are no Latest Letters items to display
Year 4: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4: Class Work items
There are no Class Work items to display
Year 4: Events items
Y4 Standon Bowers, by Miss Ridler
Y2 Delamere Activity Centre, by Miss Ridler