Year 4 2023 - 2024
This term, our topics are:
The Anglo-Saxons and Are all settlements the same?
Click on the picture to find some Anglo-Saxon and Settlement games!
The first half term will focus on The Anglo-Saxons:
- Why did the Saxons invade?
- Where did the early Anglo-Saxons live and how do we know this?
- The mystery of the empty Saxon grave.
- How did people's lives change when Christianty came to Britain? How can we be sure?
- How did the Vikings try to take over the country and how close did they get?
- Alfred and Guntrum: 878 the year things changed
- Alfred the Great. How great was he?
- How effective was Anglo-Saxon justice?
- Were Saxon times really 'Dark' ages?
The second half term will focus on settlements and looking to see if they are all the same:
- To know the name of some cities in the UK such as Liverpool and Newcastle
- To know the main types of land use such as residential, agricultural, commercial and transportation.
- To know some types of settlement such as village, town and city
- To know the difference between an urban place and a rural place
- To know the UK grows food locally and imports food from other countries
In the summer term we will focus on:
- Place value
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
In year 4, it is really important that you know, and practise, your times tables up to 12x12. Times tables are important to help you with lots of other aspects of maths - practising for 5 minutes a day can work wonders!
We will be taking part in the Multiplication Check at the end of the school year.
Below are some fantastic links for you to practise your times tables, number bonds and other maths skills:
In science this term we will be looking at animals including humans and states of matter.
The first half term will focus on states of matter:
I can explore a variety of everyday materials and develop simple descriptions of the states of matter
I can compare and group materials together, according to whether they are solids, liquids or gases
I can observe that some materials change state when they are heated or cooled, and measure or research the temperature at which this happens in degrees Celsius (°C)
I can identify the part played by evaporation and condensation in the water cycle and associate the rate of evaporation with temperature.
The second half term will focus on animals including humans:
- I can describe the simple functions of the basic parts of the digestive system in humans
- I can identify the different types of teeth in humans and their simple functions
- I can construct and interpret a variety of food chains, identifying producers, predators and prey
Reminders and Information
Staff in Year 4:
Miss Hilditch - Class teacher (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday am, Thursday and Friday)
Madame Leydon – French teacher (Wednesday pm)
Mrs Bundy - Teaching assistant (Wednesday pm)
Our regular PE days for this term will be Monday and Thursday. Pupils are asked to bring their PE kit on a Monday and will be taken home on a Friday. Please make sure that your child wears the correct Excalibur PE kit. A list of the full PE kit is on our website.
Pupils can bring their tracksuit bottoms for PE if it becomes too cold.
I would be grateful if you could make sure that long hair is tied back and that earrings are removed or covered with micro-pore or similar on PE days.
Any earrings will need to be removed for a PE lesson.
Start and Finish Times
The school gates will be opened at 8:50am to all children. The school day will end at 3:20 pm.
Due to considerations regarding the transfer of monies, there will be no snacks for sale at break times. Therefore, could you please send your child in with a healthy snack for their midmorning break.
It is important for children to drink water throughout the day. Therefore, children may bring in bottles of water each day so long as the bottle has a secure lid. It is also really helpful if every bottle is clearly labelled. Please can you remind your child to take their bottle home every night for washing and refilling.
Every week, your child will be set the following tasks:
- Guided Reading - Questions set from a short text every Friday.
- Spellings - Either a spelling rule or words from the statutory Y3/4 spelling list. Given on half termly basis, tested on a Monday.
- Maths - Set weekly on a Friday on Mathletics.
If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact through our contact email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) or you could leave a message on seesaw.
I look forward to a fabulous year working with you and your child.
Thank you for your continued support.
Files to Download
Year 4: Latest Letters items
There are no Latest Letters items to display
Year 4: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4: Class Work items
There are no Class Work items to display
Year 4: Events items
There are no Events items to display